Catalyst Recovery Filters
A catalyst is any substance that induces a chemical reaction without participating in it directly. The catalyst remains in its original form after the process has been completed. The use of catalyst filtration systems to effectively trap and reclaim catalysts like platinum and palladium can improve your system’s efficiency while cutting down on waste and costs.
Mott’s three precious metal catalyst filters are specifically designed to capture +99% of catalyst for either recycling or reclamation while achieving excellent filtrate quality. The Mott HyPulse® LSI is ideal for a variety of clean-in-place backwashes, ranging from discharge of an approximate 15 wt. % slurry to an approximate 50 wt.% wet cake. For applications with significant submicron particles, the HyPulse® LSX cross flow filter achieves less than 50 ppm filtrate quality without worry of blinding media with small catalyst particles. For applications with dense particles such as Raney nickel, the HyPulse® LSM delivers the best of both worlds, allowing for a configurable filtration and backwash operation while taking advantage of the natural high-particle density with gravity settling, to handle high solids loading streams. All three technologies are designed for specific process conditions, and can withstand operating temperatures up to 1700°F, high operating pressure, and challenging corrosive environments.
Questions? Call 860.747.6333 Today!
Improving processes for removing catalysts and solids is a crucial but often overlooked way to make process filtration more efficient and cost-effective under a variety of circumstances. Choosing and installing the most suitable catalyst recovery filter for any application – so your system runs efficiently and your investment pays for itself – is just one area of our vast expertise. We are also available to assist with filter testing and complete system fabrication. Unsure if Mott can handle your unique catalyst recovery filtration needs? Someone from our team of experienced engineers, scientists, and technicians will be happy to discuss your project. Call us at 860.864.4905, or submit an information request form and someone will get back to you within 48 hours.
Literature & Data Sheets
- Palladium-on-Carbon (Pd-on-C) Removal
- Platinum-on-Carbon Removal
- Raney Nickel (and similar) Removal
- Rhodium Catalyst Filtration
- Polymer or Resin Product Polishing
Catalyst Filtration Brief
Catalyst Recovery Filtration Application Brief Installation Examples. LSI, LSM, LSX Filters
Process Filtration Overview
A comprehensive overview of Mott's offerings for process filtration applications.
Mott Process Design
Process Filtration Design Process. Filter Feasibility, Pilot Testing, Engineering Design, Filter System Fabrication, Operational Support
Elements Cleaning Guide
Porous metal media is made to last a lifetime. This cleaning guide provides proper care and cleaning instructions to ensure longevity and reliability.
Filter Feasibility Testing Cut Sheet
Filter feasibility testing and application analysis for liquid and gas filtration processes.
Mott filters are often used to capture the following catalyst – Platinum, palladium, rhodium, nickel, and various specialty catalysts.
Media grade elements down to 0.2 μm are available to capture even the smallest catalyst particles, resulting in 99%+ capture efficiency, typically leading to a 10-20% reduction in total catalyst costs for manufacturers.
Standard Diameters – 4” to 72” diameter vessels are standard to accommodate a wide range of flow rates.
Custom vessels are available upon request, consult factory.
Standard filter element alloys – 316L SS, 310 SS, Hastelloy® C-276, Hastelloy® X, Monel 400, Nickel 200, Inconel® 600.
Standard vessel alloys – 316L SS, Hastelloy®, Carbon Steel, 316 SS.
Other alloys are available, consult factory
Alloys with temperature resistance up to 1700° degrees Fahrenheit are available.
Custom alloys available to accommodate unique operating temperatures, consult factory.
Mott LSI filters for catalyst processes are designed for clean-in-place performance, meaning filter elements can discharge cake build-up without having to open the filter for maintenance. Once a terminal pressure drop has been reached, the cleaning cycle automatically initiates to discharge cake build-up through gas assisted pulse or through a backwash cycle.
Particles will embed in the filter media over time, requiring the elements to be cleaned by a third-party company. Various cleaning techniques can be used to prolong life of the elements. For a recommendation of a cleaning company, please contact a Mott representative. It is recommended you keep a spare set of filter elements to continue operations while elements are being cleaned.
Videos & Articles
The Mott Filter Design Process
- Filter Feasibility Testing – In our Customer Innovation Center, we will replicate, or very closely correlate, your process conditions to determine the appropriate media grade and material for your application. We will provide you with a comprehensive, in-depth analysis to prove the feasibility of using porous metal in your process and furnish you with a comprehensive ROI justification.
- Pilot Testing – As an option, we can install a pilot unit in your facility enabling you to witness, first-hand, how our filters will perform in your process stream and under your actual operating temperatures and pressure conditions.
- Front-End Engineering Design – Our Front-End Engineering Design (FEED) process provides you with a complete process engineering package, including vessel drawings, a preliminary equipment layout drawing, piping and instrumentation diagram, process flow diagram, valve and instrument list, and a detailed process functional description.
- Fabrication – When it comes to fabricating your system, we can handle as much or as little as you need – from fabricating only the filter vessel, to providing a complete turnkey skid system.
- Operational Support – When your filtration system is complete, our professionals can provide equipment commissioning and startup services, training, ongoing technical support and quality assurance testing for the life of your system.
Depending on your needs, Mott can provide just the filter elements, a vessel and elements, or provide you a full turnkey system with the vessel, frame, piping, instruments, and controls.
We are available to help operations of all sizes develop highly effective catalyst recovery filtration systems and processes on an end-to-end basis, depending on your organization’s individual needs. Our highly individualized, custom approach to every project ensures we empower each of our partners to achieve highly effective, state-of-the-art catalyst filtration systems that save time, materials, and costs.
- Filter Feasibility Testing – Want a recommendation on the correct filter media, alloy, and backwash frequency for your process? Coordinate with a Mott representative to send a sample of your feed stock to our lab to determine the correct filtration design for your process.
- Preventative Maintenance Cycles – Consult with a Mott representative about utilizing a pre-determined lab testing and cleaning schedule to avoid costly downtime. If you lack the resources to hire in-house maintenance with the qualifications to work around sensitive lab equipment, services from Mott’s maintenance experts are an affordable and effective solution.
- Engineering Support – Utilize our expert project engineers to design the right filter elements to maximize flow and particle capture. There is more to effective catalyst filtration than simply removing catalysts and solids. Mott’s experienced engineers can analyze your entire system to ensure efficient flow at all points.
- Destructive Element Analysis – Send us one of your elements for various analyses to determine the remaining lifetime and filtration efficiency of your filters. If filter testing shows systemic issues that could lead to eventual failure, the experts at Mott can assist by suggesting improvements to your process filtration systems.
- Product Overview
- Literature & Data Sheets
- Product Specs
- Videos & Articles
- Design Capabilities
- Relevant Services